WELCOME TO THE CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST. JAMES
The Catholic Church of St. James grew out of a tiny band of committed Catholics who moved into Conway during the 1940's. From very early on it was a racially integrated church, a rarity in the South of that era. After many years of Masses celebrated in various locations by priests from neighboring towns, a church was built by their dedicated efforts, and dedicated in 1961 with Father Henry Burke as first pastor. Growth was slow until the 1990's, when South Carolina became a favorite retirement destination for many from the north, south and west. Young people followed as jobs were created, and then from the mid-90's a continued growth of Hispanic Catholics added to the community. Today there are about 1,000 families. Parishioners are involved in over 80 ministries within and without the parish. The friendly family spirit established by the first parishioners has been maintained as a special trait even with the growth in numbers and diversity.
Did you miss church this week and wonder what Fr. Tim had to say? Check out our all new Homilies Page!! Miss last week, or even two months ago?? It will be there also!! Access it by clicking on "Fr. Tim's Homily" in the Featured Events box in the upper right hand corner of this and every page!
St. James is a Catholic Community of disciples of Jesus Christ that
. is centered in the Eucharist and nourished by Scripture and Tradition
. invites and welcomes all
. grows in unity, knowledge, and faith
. serves God and all people